from Senator Jon Bumstead’s November 1st Legislative Update
Schools within our district that have earned the MI HEARTSafe designation include North Muskegon, Holton, Montague and Big Rapids.
To receive this designation, schools must be prepared to respond to cardiac emergencies by having:
• A written medical emergency response plan and team;
• Current CPR/AED (automated external defibrillator) certification of 10% of staff and 50% of coaches, including all head varsity coaches and physical education staff;
• Accessible and maintained AEDs;
• Annual cardiac emergency response drills; and
• Pre-participation sports screening of all student athletes.
Currently, 490 schools are designated as MI HEARTSafe Schools. For more information about the program, including a list of participating schools, visit www.Migrc.org/miheartsafe.