A work session of the Fruitport Charter Township Board began at 6:30pm on Monday, February 24, 2020, in the township board room.
Members Present: Heidi Tice, Supervisor; Andrea Anderson, Clerk; Rose Dillon, Treasurer; Trustees Greg Hulka, Terry Knoll, Denise Winebarger
Members Absent: Jeff Jacobs, excused
At 7:00pm, Heidi Tice opened the regular meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance followed by a prayer.
Also Present: 8- residents; 2- employees; 0- guests; Director of Public Utilities, Steve Biesiada; Director of Public Safety, Brian Michelli; Attorney, Ron Bultje.
The motion by Rose Dillon, supported by Heidi Tice, was carried unanimously, to approve the minutes of February 10, 2020 as presented.
The motion by Andrea Anderson, supported by Terry Knoll, was carried unanimously, to approve the agenda as presented.
CORRESPONDENCE / REPORTS
1. Steve Biesiada reported that there has been a delay in the valve replacement in the Smiley water tower.
2. Brian Michelli shared that the charity basketball game with the Fire Department, Norton Shores Fire Department, and No More Sidelines will be this Friday.
3. Heidi Tice shared that the Lion’s Club pancake dinner will also be this Friday.
PUBLIC COMMENTS REGARDING AGENDA ITEMS:
1. Jason Kolkema introduced himself as a candidate running for District Court Judge.
2. Daniel Taber requested that additional funding be put toward the repair of Kendra Road.
20-024 Brian Michelli contract renewal
Requested changes include a 3% salary increase and changes in regards to insurance including vision reimbursement and an additional 4 years of health insurance coverage for his spouse beyond his reaching Medicare eligible age post-retirement should he change his retirement age from 55 to 58.
Heidi Tice moved, Terry Knoll seconded, MOTION FAILED, to increase the salary of the Public Safety Director, Brian Michelli, 3% to $96,871.50, and approve the requested insurance changes, and extend his contract with changes as presented for one year.
Ayes: Knoll, Tice, Dillon
Nays: Anderson, Winebarger, Hulka
Rose Dillon moved, Andrea Anderson seconded, MOTION CARRIED, to increase the salary of the Public Safety Director, Brian Michelli, 3% to $96,871.50, and approve the addition of vision reimbursement, and extend his contract with the amended changes for one year.
Ayes: Knoll, Anderson, Dillon, Winebarger, Hulka
20-025 2020/2021 Budget discussion
Discussion occurred regarding the proposed 2020/2021 budget. The Budget Public Hearing will be scheduled for March 23, 2020.
20-026 Adopt Public Meeting Schedule
The motion by Rose Dillon, seconded by Terry Knoll, was carried unanimously, to adopt the Schedule of Public Meetings for fiscal year 2020/2021.
Ayes: Hulka, Winebarger, Dillon, Tice, Anderson, Knoll
20-027 Payment of bills
Terry Knoll moved, Greg Hulka seconded, MOTION CARRIED, to approve bills as presented for payment in the following amounts: General Fund $24,090.14; Public Safety $6,710.84; Water $1,279.97; Sewer $775.69; Street Lights $648.16
Ayes: Knoll, Anderson, Tice, Dillon, Winebarger, Hulka
1. Heidi Tice reported that commercial properties do not have to come before the Board of Review before going to the Tax Tribunal.
PUBLIC COMMENTS PART II:
1. Daniel Taber inquired as to when the budget will be available for public inspection. He was provided a draft copy of the 2020/2021 budget.
2. Rick Tice suggested that a representative from the Parks Department should be present to present their budget request as the other departments do.
The motion by Greg Hulka, supported by Denise Winebarger, was carried unanimously, to adjourn the meeting at 8:05pm.
ANDREA ANDERSON, CLERK
HEIDI TICE, SUPERVISOR