The 2020 County population estimates were released by the Census Bureau on May 4. Some of the Ottawa County highlights are provided below. Please note that this data is not a 2020 Census release, but part of the Census Population and Housing Unit Estimates program. 2020 Census county population data will be released later this year.
Data release highlights
• Ottawa County is now the 7th most populated county in Michigan, with a 2020 population of 294,635. This is the first time since 2010 that Ottawa has ranked above 8th.
• Ottawa County was the fastest growing county in the State between 2010 and 2020 (11.7% growth).
• Ottawa County was the 2nd fastest growing county in the State between 2019 and 2020 (1.1% growth).
• 47% of Ottawa’s population growth between 2010 and 2020 was the result of a natural increase, meaning there were more births than deaths in the county.
• 53% of Ottawa’s population growth between 2010 and 2020 was the result of a positive net migration, meaning more people moved into the county than moved out of the county.