February 15, 2022
JUDICIAL CANDIDACY ANNOUNCEMENT
14TH CIRCUIT COURT
I am the Honorable Gregory C. Pittman, and I have served as Muskegon County Probate Court Judge since my appointment, by Gov. John Engler, in January, 1998. It is my honor and privilege to presently serve, by appointment of the Michigan Supreme Court, as the Chief Judge of both the 14th Circuit and 61st Probate Courts, for the County of Muskegon.
After years of our local bench advocating and making the case for the addition of a new 14th Circuit Court Judgeship, The Muskegon County Board of Commissioners and the Michigan State Legislature, this year, voted their respective approvals of adding that judgeship. On February 9, 2022, Governor Gretchen Whitmer gave her approval and signed into law the establishment of the new 14th Circuit Court Judgeship for Muskegon County.
This new 14th Circuit Court Judgeship will greatly improve the public’s access to timely resolution of their legal matters and enhance the delivery of justice in Muskegon County, and I am proud of my role in helping bring this new judgeship into existence.
The person who will be seated in the new 14th Circuit Court judgeship will be voted upon in the upcoming November 1, 2022 election cycle, and will begin hearing cases January 1, 2023.
It is against this backdrop that I come to you today, humbly and enthusiastically, announcing my Candidacy for Judge of the 14th Circuit Court (New Judgeship Position) in the upcoming November 1, 2022 election cycle.
I am seeking your support and ultimately your vote to be your new 14th Circuit Court Judge. I would continue as Chief Judge of both the Circuit and Probate Courts of Muskegon County, and maintain my primary docket as Family Court Judge.
As you consider offering your valued support for my candidacy please take note that in my now 24 years on the bench I have:
- In 1998 founded the Muskegon Responsible Fathers Initiative in recognition of the need to help non-custodial Fathers to reduce and eliminate the systemic barriers that help separate children from meaningful relationships with their fathers.
- From 2006-2012 served on the Michigan Task Force for Children’s Justice, by appointment of both former Governors Jennifer Granholm and Rick Snyder.
- In 2013, tasked by Governor Snyder with developing systemic solutions to stemming the “School to Prison Pipeline” in the County of Muskegon. That effort resulted in the development of the School Teams Assisting Youth Project (STAY Project). Local school districts have since adopted STAY principles in the effort to keep students connected to their educational program and present in school.
- In 2016, as Presiding Judge of the 14th Circuit Court Family Division, led the Family Court in collaborating with the University of Cincinnati Corrections Institute to revamp Muskegon County’s juvenile justice system. After successfully implementing a new model over several years, it has resulted in a significant decrease in the number of youths in detention, out-of-home placements as well as a decrease in the number of days in care, all resulting in a decreased cost to this community.
- Been appointed and currently serve on the Michigan Supreme Court’s Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Workgroup, that is tasked with making Michigan’s One Court of Justice mission accessible and accountable to all Michigan citizens.
Again, I thank you for your time, your consideration, your support and for your vote in November!
“DON’T QUIT ‘TIL YOU VOTE FOR PITT!”