A work session of the Fruitport Charter Township Board began at 6:30pm on Monday, August 14, 2017, in the township board room.
Members Present: Heidi Tice, Supervisor; Andrea Anderson, clerk; Rose Dillon, Treasurer; Trustees Ron Becklin, Jeff Jacobs, Denise Winebarger, and Greg Hulka
Members Absent: none
At 7:00pm, Heidi Tice opened the regular meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance followed by a prayer from Rose Dillon.
Also Present: 6– residents; 0 – employees; 3- guests; Director of Public Safety, Brian Michelli; Director of Public Utilities, Ron Langlois; and Muskegon County Commissioner, Marvin Engle.
The motion by Rose Dillon, supported by Denise Winebarger, was carried unanimously, to approve the minutes of July 24, 2017 as presented.
The motion by Rose Dillon, supported by Greg Hulka, was carried unanimously, to approve the agenda as presented.
CORRESPONDENCE / REPORTS
1. Brian Michelli presented the problem of having a police officer off the road due to an injury and being short staffed with part-time officers. Suggestions on how to attract and retain part-time officers were discussed.
2. Ron Langlois reported that the Broadway lift station refurbishing is complete. Restoration of the grounds will be complete soon.
3. Ron Langlois gave an update on the Odeno project: the wet well vault is set and sanitary sewer is being installed.
4. Ron Langlois reported that the Vandenberg and Summit road paving is done, shoulder work continues.
5. Ron Langlois reported that surface prep is underway for both the Ihop and Wesco development locations.
6. Heidi shared a Fruitport tribute poem written by Steve Sarachman
7. Heidi shared that the township will be receiving the gift of a Wolverine sculpture that is being donated by Douglas Radcliffe North. It is slated to be placed on the Fire Department lawn near the flag pole.
PUBLIC COMMENTS REGARDING AGENDA ITEMS: none received
17-117 Rental Registration Restatement Ordinance – First Reading
The Township Board made a recommendation to adopt the Rental Registration Restatement Ordinance that will update the current ordinance requiring rental units be registered and maintain a certificate of compliance in the Charter Township of Fruitport.
This constitutes the first reading. Final action will take place at the next regular meeting scheduled on August 28, 2017.
17-118 Downtown Development Authority (DDA) formation
Motion by Ron Becklin, supported by Greg Hulka, was carried unanimously, to TABLE the topic of DDA until the August 28th meeting. At that time the township attorney and a presenter will be present to answer questions on the topic.
17-119 Public Safety Special Assessment District
Heidi Tice requested that this topic be TABLED until information is collected.
17-120 Eagle Scout Project
Presentation was given by Michael Vanallsburg from Troop 1127. He proposes to build an honor garden consisting of an 8’x10’ oval raised flower garden in April 2018. The purpose of the garden would be to honor firefighters and police officers. Michael plans to work with local businesses to fund the approximately $2,000 needed to complete the project. He will return to weed and maintain the garden for 5 years. Approval for the project will come before the board at the August 28, 2017 meeting.
17-121 Muskegon County Presentation on Youth, Family, & Community millage
Zachary Anderson, Jason Colella, and County Commissioner Marvin Engle were present to speak and answer questions regarding Muskegon County’s proposed “Youth, Family, & Community” millage.
17-122 Library Board Member Resignation
Rose Dillon announced that a member of the library board has resigned, creating a vacancy on the board. Letters of interest from Fruitport Township residents should be received by Rose Dillon no later than September 14, 2017.
17-123 Discussion of Wesco Aggregate Processing Project
Wesco is proposing to have an aggregate processing operation on the site of the Wesco project. Discussion amongst the board lead to questions regarding the time frame, hours of operation, number of loads in and out, trucking routes, and control of dust and contaminants. Heidi Tice will discuss further with the Planning Commission before the operation is approved.
17-124 Discussion regarding Recreational Authority Articles of Incorporation
No further changes were requested. Approval will come before the board August 28, 2017.
17-125 Payment of Bills
Ron Becklin moved, Rose Dillon seconded, MOTION CARRIED, to approve bills as presented for payment in the following amounts: General Fund & Parks $31,243.41; Public Safety $48,487.76; Water $252,417.31; Sewer $215,396.06; Street Lights $12,823.04
Ayes: Becklin, Jacobs, Anderson, Tice, Dillon, Winebarger, Hulka
1. Heidi Tice shared that she and Lela Miller attended a free conference on “Best Practices.”
2. Heidi Tice shared that the township will be hosting another slip ‘n slide event in Pomona Park on Saturday, August 19, 2017. Lunch and great family fun will be provided.
PUBLIC COMMENTS PART II: none received
The motion by Ron Becklin, supported by Greg Hulka was carried unanimously, to adjourn the meeting at 8:28pm.
ANDREA ANDERSON, CLERK
HEIDI TICE, SUPERVISOR