PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING
FRUITPORT CHARTER TOWNSHIP
5865 AIRLINE RD
FRUITPORT, MI 49415
October 17th, 2017
6:30 PM WORK SESSION
7:00 PM BOARD MEETING
BOARD MEETING: call to order at 7:03
01. Roll Call: Mike Michelli, Brett Suchecki, Jason Franklin, Matthew Farrar, Kyle Osterhart, Jeff Jacobs, Geoff Newmyer. Also present, Supervisor Tice, Jacob Mason, Lela Miller, Mr. Tice.
02. Approval of Planning Commission Minutes: September 19th, 2017: chair Michelli accepted the minutes as presented.
03. Approve / Amend Agenda: Chair Michelli accepted the agenda as presented.
04. Correspondence / Reports. Supervisor reported the lions club will be selling trees at the driving ranges as they do each year. Supervisor to make sure the trees do not interfere with the line of sight.
05. Public Comments pertaining to agenda topics. No comments were heard.
06. Public Hearing on Special Use – Garry M. VanDyke III
Purpose: Gunsmith (repairs) within residence
Motion by Newmyer\Jacobs to open public hearing. Unanimous.
No shooting of long guns will occur on the property. The work will be done on the main floor.
There will be an electronic security system and a safe for firearms. All firearms stored on site will be in a safe. This type of work requires a federal license and a FFL. Machinery will include a lathe, drill press, grinders, and the like. Customers will have the option to drop off guns or pick up. Hours of operations are proposed to be 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.
Mr. Kubanek, who lives on Towner on the other site of the site. Concerned if in the future this site could sell guns. Mr. Kubanek is concerned people could target this site due to the future sale of guns. Commissioner Jacobs pointed out that this permit is for working on guns and not for the sale.
Gordon Becklin is concerned about signage and gun sales.
Mr. Tice (8th). Commented on gun shops in general.
Motion by Osterhart/Newmyer to close public hearing. Unanimous.
1. The motion is made by Osterhart to grant the special use request for parcel number(s) 61-15-110-300-0018-00 for the following requested special use: Gunsmith.
2. The motion is based upon specific findings by the Township relative to the factors specified in Section 42-157 of the Zoning Chapter.
b. The special use will be designed, constructed, operated, and maintained so as to be harmonious and appropriate in appearance with the existing or intended character of the general vicinity, and it will not change the essential character of the same area. This finding is based upon the following fact(s): No change to the exterior or site.
d. The special use will not be a substantial improvement to property in the immediate vicinity and to the Township as a whole. This finding is based upon the following fact(s): No change to the exterior.
e. The special use will be served adequately by essential public facilities and services, or have them adequately provided by the applicant; facilities and services include highways, streets, police and fire protection, drainage structures, refuse disposal, and schools. This finding is based upon the following fact(s): No changes to the current site which is adequate.
3. If the motion is to grant approval, the following conditions are established as authorized by Section 42-158 of the Zoning Chapter.
a. The special use must comply with the site plan, dated _______________, submitted to the Township, as well as any written material submitted by the applicant to the Township.
b. The special use must comply with all federal, state, and Muskegon County laws, rules, regulations, and requirements.
c. The special use must be acquired, developed, and completed in conformance with the Zoning Chapter, as amended, and the rest of the Fruitport Charter Township Code of Ordinances.
d. The construction of the special use must be completed within 2 years. This deadline may be extended by the Township, without going through the entire application process, upon request by the applicant and evidence showing that the applicant is proceeding in good faith toward completion.
e. If the special use approval is contingent upon public water service or public sanitary sewer service or both being provided, then no construction of the special use may begin until all required easements are in place, all required forms have been completed, and all approvals for service have been obtained.
f. A financial guarantee is required as allowed by Section 42-158(d) of the Zoning Chapter. The details of the financial guarantee are: _______________________ _________________________________________________________________.
g. A digital copy of the site plan as approved shall be provided to the Fire Inspector at email@example.com, or such other e-mail address as the Fire Inspector may designate.
h. Any other conditions placed by the Township upon the special use:
• Licensed FFL specific to gunsmithing,
• No exterior signage,
• Storage and solvents shall reported to and inspected the Fruitport public safety department
• Machining to be separately approved.
• 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. (hours of operations everyday)
• No test firing at the site,
• Electronic security and safes required prior to beginning of operations of business. Safe capacity to cover the number of guns on property.
• No gun sales
Motion supported by Jacobs and carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
Members discussed the animal ordinance.
07. Public Comments: None were heard
08. Adjournment: Chair Michelli adjourned the meeting at 8:25
The township will provide necessary reasonable aids and services for this meeting to individuals with disabilities by writing or telephoning the Township Clerk: Andrea Anderson, Fruitport Charter Township, 5865 Airline Rd, Fruitport, MI 49415 (231) 865-3151.