A work session of the Fruitport Charter Township Board began at 6:30pm on Monday, September 10, 2018, in the township board room.
Members Present: Heidi Tice, Supervisor; Andrea Anderson, Clerk; Rose Dillon, Treasurer; Trustees Jeff Jacobs, Denise Winebarger, and Greg Hulka
Members Absent: Todd Dunham, excused
At 7:00pm, Heidi Tice opened the regular meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance followed by a prayer.
Also Present: 4- residents; 5- employees; 1- guests; Director of Public Safety, Brian Michelli; Director of Public Utilities, Ron Langlois.
The motion by Rose Dillon, supported by Greg Hulka, was carried unanimously, to approve the minutes of August 27, 2018 as presented.
The motion by Rose Dillon, supported by Denise Winebarger, was carried unanimously, to approve the agenda as presented with the following addition to New Business requested by Brian Michelli:
Item 8-B: Approval to paint Fire Station #2 exterior.
CORRESPONDENCE / REPORTS
1. Brian Michelli reported that unlawful entries to vehicles has continued and reminds residents to secure their belongings; $4,000 was donated for fire equipment by the Hospitality Company building the new hotels.
2. Several acknowledgements were shared for our Police and Fire Departments for outstanding efforts.
3. Heidi Tice shared the AA- rating of Fruitport Township by S&P Ratings.
4. Correspondences were shared regarding Alzheimer’s Community Forums and Seniors Power of Produce.
5. MTA meeting will be at Muskegon Township on October 29, 2018.
6. Trick-or-Treating at Town Hall will be October 31, 2018 from 3:30pm-4:30pm.
7. Rose Dillon shared recognition for all of the hard work, volunteers, and donors that were organized by Ryan O’Neal and Fruitport Trojans Youth Football in order to complete the new concession area and bathrooms at Pine Park. In addition to the labor donated by Ryan O’Neal, Mark Jados, Matt Kotecki, RJ Wiggins, Jeff Bogart, Matt Mellem and VanVellen Contruction, a plaque will be mounted at the site to thank the many donors that contributed to the project.
PUBLIC COMMENTS REGARDING AGENDA ITEMS: none
Auditor Presentation of 2018/2018 fiscal year audit:
Eric VanDop from Brickley DeLong shared the annual audit report for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2018.
The Township ended the fiscal year with a $281,186 surplus in revenue over expenditures.
The Township’s OBEB liability was discussed. The full unfunded liability will appear in the financial statements next year. The Township’s OBEB fund is currently 21.1% funded, when the recommendations lean toward 40%. It is recommended that the Township continue to grow this fund.
18-115 Approval to hire a Police Officer
The School Resource Officer agreement between Fruitport Schools and Fruitport Township has been signed by both parties. A current Patrol Officer will be used to fill that position, leaving a Patrol Officer vacancy that will need to be filled.
Heidi Tice moved, Denise Winebarger seconded, MOTION CARRIED, to authorize the Public Safety Director to hire an additional Police Officer to fill the vacancy created by moving a current Officer into the SRO position.
Ayes: Jacobs, Anderson, Tice, Dillon, Winebarger, Hulka
18-116 Proposed Soccer Park Project
Members of the Parks Board have given a presentation for a parking lot expansion project they wish to have done at the soccer park and have requested funding from the General Fund. Two bids were presented: Paul Schultz Trucking & Excavating $99,142.00 and West Michigan Dirtworks $87,958.36.
Greg Hulka moved, Heidi Tice seconded, MOTION CARRIED, to move $90,000 out of the General Fund to complete the proposed parking lot expansion at the Sheringer Soccer Complex, accepting the low bid from West Michigan Dirtworks.
Ayes: Hulka, Winebarger, Tice, Anderson
Nays: Dillon, Jacobs
Rose Dillon moved, Heidi Tice seconded, MOTION CARRIED, to amend the budget to move $90,000 from fund balance to Parks capital improvements.
Ayes: Hulka, Winebarger, Dillon, Tice, Anderson
18-117 Approval for Lion’s Club street corner solicitation
The Fruitport Lion’s Club and Lioness Club have requested permission to solicit at 4 way stops in Fruitport Township on September 21 & 22, 2018 for their annual Sight & Hearing Campaign.
The motion by Rose Dillon, seconded by Greg Hulka, was carried unanimously, to allow the Lion’s Club and Lioness Club to solicit donations on street corners on September 21 & 22, 2018.
Proof of liability insurance will be provided to the Clerk.
18-118 Approval to paint the Exterior of Fire Station #2
Brian Michelli reported that the exterior paint of the building has blistered/flaked off causing blistering of paint and water damage to the interior walls. He has provided 3 estimates: AJ Vallier Sons $5,950.00, Dimension Four Painting $7,615.00, K&A Painting $14,870.00.
Heidi Tice moved, Denise Winebarger seconded, MOTION CARRIED, to accept AJ Vallier Sons’ bid and complete the exterior painting project.
Ayes: Hulka, Winebarger, Dillon, Tice, Anderson, Jacobs
18-119 Payment of bills
Andrea Anderson moved, Greg Hulka seconded, MOTION CARRIED, to approve bills as presented for payment in the following amounts: General Fund $7,731.40; Public Safety $16,184.41; Water $109,855.43; Sewer $327.48; T&A $1,545.00
Ayes: Hulka, Winebarger, Dillon, Tice, Anderson, Jacobs
1. The next meeting shall include OPEB discussion.
2. The Parks Board thanked the Township Board for their consideration in funding the soccer park project.
PUBLIC COMMENTS PART II: none
The motion by Heidi Tice, supported by Greg Hulka was carried unanimously, to adjourn the meeting at 8:45pm.
ANDREA ANDERSON, CLERK
HEIDI TICE, SUPERVISOR