Tuesday, January 14, 2020
12:00 p.m. ~ Superintendent’s Office
Attendance: Dave Hazekamp, Susan Franklin, Jill Brott, Mark Mesbergen, Allison Camp, and Bob Szymoniak
1. It was shared that because Kelly Hoekenga, who owns the comfort dog that has been working at Beach and Shettler, has gotten a new job at the ISD, we will be losing that comfort dog with Kelly’s departure. Middle/high school social worker, Shannon Coe, has expressed interest in getting a comfort dog. She is working on funding for the necessary training and certification for the dog she is soon to purchase.
2. Changes to the Social/Emotional Support Team were discussed. Of note was that we are shifting from an elementary counselor/social worker model to a completely social work model so that Beach and Shettler each have their own staff person in this capacity. This is in place of our current model consisting of a counselor and a social worker split between these two buildings which is necessary to meet the requirements of special education programming, but not ideal in supporting the needs of these two buildings.
3. The committee was asked for suggestions of community members to sit on the upcoming Facilities Committee which will meet for the first time in March should all go according to plan.
4. Email communications with Board members was discussed to help eliminate the possibility of an Open Meetings Violation.
5. A new proposed high school course, Musical Theatre, was presented. This course received support from Instructional Council and will be placed on the Board agenda for consideration.
6. Early Childhood Director, Pam Bergey, has recommended a pay raise for her staff. Because of an oversight, this matter was not presented to the Personnel Committee at their meeting on January 13, 2020. Therefore, the Student Affairs Committee reviewed the request and will make the recommendation to the full Board to approve these raises as presented. The cost of these raises will be handled by the Early Childhood Center budget so that there will be no impact on the district’s general fund.
7. General discussion was held on students with significant behavioral issues and their impact on teachers.
Meeting adjourned at 12:58 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Bob Szymoniak