submitted by United Way of the Lakeshore
The School Supply Drive has officially ended! This tri-county effort supported just over 650 students and teachers across Muskegon, Newaygo, & Oceana Counties. With 33 local business and agency partners that helped host boxes, we collected an estimated total of $15,000 in supplies. This number is calculated by counting each donated item and using the sales cost from a local vendor.
Overview of Distribution:
Muskegon County: Over 106 teachers were nominated by the community, with a total of 160 nominations submitted. A volunteer committee read through the nominations to select one teacher from each public school district to receive a box full of supplies. Each supply box’s estimated value is $550! Those teachers who did not get a supply box did receive a small gift of appreciation for their impact.
Teachers selected anonymously by volunteers:
- Fruitport – Jamie Gustin, Beach Elementary
- Holton – Mrs. Green, Holton Elementary
- Mona Shores – Mr. Bronsema, Ross Park Elementary
- Montague – Janelle Flynn, MACC
- Muskegon – Kristen Emmons, Oakview Elementary
- North Muskegon – Chalie VanderWall, North Muskegon Elementary
- Oakridge – Jenn Fairweather, Oakridge Upper Elementary
- Orchard View – Mrs. DeCheney, Orchard View Early Elementary
- Ravenna – Wendi DeJonge, Beechnau Elementary
- Reeths Puffer – Mrs. Bradford, Twin Lake Elementary
- Whitehall – Mrs. Throne, Whitehall Shoreline Elementary
Newaygo County: Newaygo County partnered with the TrueNorth Community Services School Supply Drive in August. This drive was called “Tools For Schools” and it provided the resources kids need to achieve success by providing backpacks filled with age-appropriate supplies to kids from qualifying families.
Oceana County: Worked with their local school districts to distribute collected school supplies to classrooms that expressed need & support.