Student Affairs Committee
Wednesday, January 12, 2022
Fruitport Community Schools Central Office
3255 E. Pontaluna Rd.
Fruitport, MI 49415
Tim Burgess, Maribeth Clarke, Susan Franklin, Dave Hazekamp, and Jason Kennedy
- An update was provided to the Committee on student discipline incidents resulting from threats made against the school.
- An update was provided to the Committee that discussed the days and hours of instruction for the 2021-2022 school year, as well as the canceled days of instruction that have occurred thus far this school year. A Letter of Agreement (LOA) between the Board and the Fruitport Education Association (FEA) was discussed, and will be recommended for approval at the Board meeting on January 17, 2022. The Agreement allows days of instruction to be added to the end of the 2021-2022 school year, in the event that scheduled days of student instruction are canceled resulting in a state aid reduction.
- A review of the strategic planning process was discussed. Three initial proposals were shared with the Committee. The Committee reviewed the strategic planning processes developed by the Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB) and the Michigan Association of Superintendents and Administrators (MASA). The Committee also discussed a District led initiative using Thought Exchange that would be facilitated by the Superintendent and administrative team. Further discussion on the process will continue at future meetings before any decisions are made.
- An update was provided to the Committee pertaining to the resignation / termination proceedings of a transportation employee.
- Maribeth provided a review and reading of the Thrun Law Board Policy updates that pertained to the Student Affairs Committee. A summary of all policy updates will be shared with the Board of Education.
- A review of discussion items from the Business and Finance Committee meeting and Personnel Committee meeting was discussed.
- Public Comment: None
- Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 12:50 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Jason Kennedy, Superintendent