Student Affairs Committee
Monday, March 14, 2022
Fruitport Community Schools Central Office
3255 E. Pontaluna Rd.
Fruitport, MI 49415
Tim Burgess, Susan Franklin, Dave Hazekamp, and Jason Kennedy
- The Committee was provided a copy of the Board’s current policy 5407, Instructional Program and Curriculum Development. The Committee was also provided a copy of the optional policy updates for policy 5407 from Thrun Law Firm. The Committee reviewed the optional policy updates and will revisit the optional policy updates at the April Committee meeting.
- The Committee was provided a copy of the recommended updates to the District’s COVID19 Mitigation Plan, based upon recommendations and guidance updates from the CDC, MDHHS, and local public health officials. The updated plan will be presented to the Board of Education for approval at the March 21, 2022 meeting of the Board.
- A preliminary discussion took place with the Committee regarding the purchase of a Paws with a Cause facility therapy dog for Edgewood Elementary School. The Committee will be provided with additional information at an upcoming Committee meeting before a formal recommendation is made to the Board.
- An update was provided to the Committee pertaining to a lodging assistance request from the Drumline team for their finals competition performance that will take place out of state in April. The Board will need to be provided with information pertaining to cost and details of the trip before being considered.
- An update was provided to the Committee pertaining to the Career Fair being sponsored by the Fruitport Education Foundation at Fruitport High School on May 10, 2022 from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- An update was provided to the Committee pertaining to the creation of a partnership with the Hand 2 Hand Weekend Food Program.
- The Committee discussed the need to consider a new hockey cooperative program. Two options were discussed with the Committee. These options included joining a cooperative with Grand Haven High School (includes Spring Lake High School), as well as a cooperative with Reeths-Puffer High School (includes Muskegon Catholic Central, Montague, Whitehall, and North Muskegon). A recommendation will be provided to the Committee for recommendation to the Board at an upcoming meeting.
- A copy of the new Adult Education Handbook was provided to the Committee for review. The Committee will review the handbook and be asked to consider it for recommendation to the Board of Education at the April Board meeting.
- Other: The Committee reviewed items from each of the other Board Committee meetings to provide a general overview of the topics to be discussed at the Regular Board Meeting on Monday, March 21, 2022.
- Public Comment: None
- Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 6:25 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Jason Kennedy, Superintendent