Presented by the Muskegon County Convention & Visitors Bureau
It’s Asparagus Time with Sofia
May 7 @ 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Monday, May 7 from 6:00pm – 8:00pm, Kitchen 242 inside the Muskegon Farmers’ Market invites you to the culinary class, “It’s Asparagus Time with Sofia!”
Menu for this class:
• Asparagus gratin with prosciutto and béchamel sauce
• Asparagus risotto
• Asparagus with hard boiled eggs Italian style
• Asparagus “alla Milanese” with sunny side up eggs
Learn from Sofia Occhialini who moved to Muskegon from Italy four years ago. The cost is $40. For more information, call (231) 769-2202.
Crafting Paper Roses
May 7 @ 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Monday, May 7 from 6:00pm – 7:00pm, come to Hackley Public Library to learn how to make stunning paper roses that will never wilt! Just in time for spring, you can use paper roses to enhance a gift, decorate your home, or brighten up a party! This is free for everyone and supplies will be provided. Brought to you through the generosity of the Friends of Hackley Library, and led by Nancy Hartman. For more information, call (231) 722-8000.
Roll On Muskegon
Mondays @ 6:30 pm
“Roll on Muskegon” is a fun, community, bicycle ride through the neighborhoods of Muskegon. Bikers meet every Monday at the downtown Muskegon Farmers’ Market. This easy 8 mph, family friendly ride begins at 6:30pm. For more information, find them on Facebook.
Team Trivia at Fricano Place
Mondays @ 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Mondays from 7:00pm – 9:00pm, come to The Hideaway Lounge at Fricano Place for Team Trivia, hosted by Brandon Covell. This is a free event with prizes given to the winning teams! Team Trivia players will get a $3.00 discount on Fricano’s Pizza during the event. For more information, call (231) 722-2600.
Hackley & Hume Plaster Workshop
May 8 @ 8:00 am – May 9 @ 4:00 pm
May 8 – 9, 8:00am – 4:00pm, come to the Hackley & Hume Historic Site as the Michigan Historic Preservation Network, in partnership with the Hackley & Hume Historic Site and the Lakeshore Museum Center, offers a two-day, hands-on plaster workshop in Muskegon! Participants will learn about the composition of historic plaster and the fundamentals of plaster repair/restoration, while having the opportunity to complete hands-on work with various methods for repairing/restoring plaster surfaces. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 906-250-6301 or just sign up at the website below. The cost is $50.
The Secrets of Bees Speaker Series: Pollinator Gardens
May 8 @ 6:00 pm
Tuesday, May 8 at 6:00pm, come to the Lakeshore Museum Center for the second of three lectures about bees, “Pollinator Gardens” presented by the Muskegon Conservation District. Tickets are free for Muskegon County residents or $3 for non-residents. RSVP by calling 231-722-0278 or e-mail email@example.com.
May 8 @ 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Tuesday, May 8 from 6:30pm – 8:30pm, join Pigeon Hill Brewing as they do an easy and fun 3 – 4 mile run from their taproom in downtown Muskegon! They will be running part of the half and 10K course of the Seaway Run and then back for some brew! Check in will start at 6:00pm and the run starts at 6:30pm.
The cost is $10 for a beer and raffle ticket with some awesome prizes including an entry to any one of the Mercy Health races! There is no pre-registration, just show up! Cash and cards will be accepted. For more information, call (231) 375-5184.
Cruise-Ins at Fricano Place
Wednesdays @ 5:30 pm – 8:00 pm
Cruise-Ins at Fricano Place happen from 5:30pm – 8:00pm every Wednesday evening, weather permitting. Bring your classic car to the parking lot behind Fricano Place, overlooking Muskegon Lake. They welcome all antiques, customs, classic and novelty vehicles! DJ Tom Schalk will be playing your favorite songs. Your favorite beverages, Fricano’s Pizza, as well as ice cream and desserts from Fricano’s Sweet Shoppe will be available for purchase! For more information, call (231) 722-2600.
Artsmarts Spring Lecture Series
May 9 @ 7:00 pm
Wednesdays, May 2 – 16 at 7:00pm (doors open at 6:30pm), come to the Muskegon Museum of Art for the “Artsmarts Spring Lecture Series” presented by Muskegon Friends of Art!
This series is $45 per person or $30 per person for Friends of Art members. Individual lectures are $15 at the door. Registration forms are available in the MMA Gift Store or by calling 231-720-2580.
• May 2 – Art and the Psyche: (Featured Speaker Suzanne Eberle) A brief look at art in the 19th to the 21st centuries that explores psychological issues, including our dreams, fears and desires.
• May 9 – Michelangelo, Genius of the Renaissance, Bridge to the Baroque : (Featured Speaker Greg Athnos) Michelangelo stood across two major periods in western art as a painter, sculptor and poet. This lecture will describe Michelangelo and his contemporaries within the Renaissance and the primary focus on Michelangelo’s early “Pieta,” the “David” and the “Sistine Chapel.”
• May 16 – Impressionism and the Two Claudes, Monet and Debussy (Featured Speaker Greg Athnos) What was Monet to do when the camera could now depict ‘reality’ much better? The result was ‘Impressionism’ with the elimination of ‘perspective’ and concentration on ‘light’ and ‘color.’ Debussy had the same problem determining what to do after Wagner. His answer came in composing music that sounded like a Monet painting looks. Beware! The floodgates to the 20th Century are being opened.
Muskegon Heritage Museum Opens for the Season
May 10 @ 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
May 10, the Muskegon Heritage Museum will open for the season! The museum is dedicated to preserving the economic, industrial and social history of the greater Muskegon area. Their collection includes informational exhibits, artifacts and photos pertaining to Muskegon’s industries, historic homes and businesses. They also have a working steam engine with a line shaft that runs 11 machine tools, a working Brunswick pinsetter, a spring winding machine and over 80 other companies represented in exhibits. Don’t let the modest storefront fool you, the Museum has over 12,000 square feet of display space, spanning three floors!
Hours are Thursday – Saturday, 11:00am – 4:00pm, Mid-May – Mid-October and by appointment year round. For more information, call 231-722-1363.
• Adults – $5.00, Students $2.00
• Children under 6, Active Duty Service personnel, MHA members – FREE
• Special group and school tour rates may apply.
Muskegon Museum of Art: Free Thursday Evening Tours
Thursdays @ 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Every Thursday from 4:00pm – 8:00pm, you’re invited to the Muskegon Museum of Art for a free tour guided by MMA docents, compliments of Meijer! For more information, call 231-720-2570.
ACWL on Tap
May 10 @ 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Thursday, May 10 from 4:00pm – 8:00pm, head to Fetch Brewing Company for a night of beer and art as they support the Arts Council of White Lake at this year’s “ACWL on Tap!” Fetch Brewing has designed a new summer beer and are excited to release it as part of this year’s fundraiser. Patrons can order the new beverage and proceeds will be donated back to program funding for the arts. The event will host various art projects and crafts that attendees can participate in as they enjoy their drink. You are also invited to submit a work of art to be featured on this year’s beer poster! For more information, call (231) 292-1048.
United Way 100 Year Celebration
May 10 @ 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm
The United Way 100 Year Celebration is happening Thursday, May 10 from 5:00pm – 8:00pm at the Frauenthal Theater. Save the date for a special celebration that spans the decades!
• Hors d’oeuvres & Cocktails: delicious favorites from across the decades, with a cash bar.
• A Walk Through Time: a fun look back at United Way of the Lakeshore and their Agency Partners.
• Silent Auction: fundraising for the future, with unique gifts and amazing experiences!
• Premiere of their 100 Year Video: “Images of Our Past,” with highlights from their 100 Voices impact project.
• Live Entertainment: a celebration of the spirit of United Way through songs, dances, and spoken word.
For questions or information, please call (231) 332-4000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Suggested attire: an outfit from your favorite decade!
Crazy About Cauliflower Cuisine with Chef Char
May 10 @ 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Thursday, May 10 from 6:00pm – 8:00pm, come to Kitchen 242 inside the Muskegon Farmers’ Market for the Culinary Class “Crazy About Cauliflower Cuisine with Chef Char!” Did you know that cauliflower makes a great replacement for commonly craved carbs like rice and pasta? In this class, Chef Char will demonstrate how riced cauliflower can replace fried rice in a stir fry. Also try some healthy snacking or creative side dish ideas with Cauliflower Buffalo Bites, Baked Caulitots, Cauliflower tortillas and Garlic Parmesan Cauliflower Steaks. So healthy and so easy! For more information, call (231) 769-2202.
Dancing into the Sunset: Free Community Dancing and Music
May 10 @ 7:00 pm
Most Thursdays, May 10 – August 30, come to the band shell in Pomona Park for Dancing into the Sunset! Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, snacks and beverages to settle in for a great evening of music and dancing. The fun begins at 7:00pm. Free and open to the public! For more information, find “Dancing into the Sunset” on Facebook.
• May 10 – Music provided by Impact Entertainment Mobile DJ Service, including 1 – hour Swing Dance instruction taught by Steve Zaagman, creator of Grand Rapids Original Swing Society
Express Clydesdale Team Visits Muskegon
May 11 @ 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Friday, May 11 from 3:00pm – 7:00pm, Express Employment Professionals are bringing you the Express Clydesdales! They will be visiting the shopping plaza on E. Sherman Blvd. by Pizza Ranch. Bring the family to enjoy rides, pictures and games. This event is free and open to the public. For more information, call 231-739-6390.
Party in the Mark
May 11 @ 5:00 pm
Friday, May 11 at 5:00pm, come to Watermark 920 for “Party in the Mark!” This is your chance to pick the beer line-up for this summer’s Parties in the Park in Hackley Park! The cover is $5 and includes three samples. Extra samples are $1 each. There will be over 30 beers to sample, many brewed right here in Michigan, including Pigeon Hill, Unruly, Fetch and Blake’s. Fatty Lumpkins Sandwich Shack will offer food and Modern Entertainment will provide music. For more information, visit Party in the Park’s Facebook page.
Music for Meds
May 11 @ 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Friday, May 11 from 7:00pm – 10:00pm, come to the Folkert Community Hub & Banquet Center for the Music for Meds fundraiser featuring Billy Ryan and Matt Giraud on the “Dueling Pianos!” Enjoy an evening of entertainment while raising money to benefit the emergency medical and dental fund of the Mission for Area People. There’ll be an auction, heavy appetizers and a cash bar as well. For more information, call 231-733-9672.
Metal Works Super Saturday
May 12 @ 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
May 12 from 10:00am – 3:00pm, come to the Muskegon Museum of Art for the free family fun day, “Metal Works Super Saturday!” Metal working has ancient roots that can be traced back thousands of years. Explore the work of two contemporary artists who combine traditional metal working techniques and new innovative methods for creating their art. Super Saturdays are held on the 2nd Saturdays of the month (Note: No Super Saturday in June). Super Saturday admission and activities are free!
• 10:00am & 1:00pm Film: How to Train Your Dragon (98 mins.) Follow Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III on his mission to capture a dragon—that is until he finds himself befriending this strange creature.
• 10:00 am – 12:00pm: Artist Demo with David Huang
• 11:00am – 2:00pm: Make & Take – Explore metal working techniques and properties with a very common medium, Play Dough®!
• 11:00am – 1:00pm: Guided Tour – Experience the Poetry of Metal: David Barnhill and David Huang with a museum docent.
For more information, call 231-720-2570.
Grand Opening: Pet Safe Bark Park
May 12 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Saturday, May 12 from 10:00am – 12:00pm, come celebrate the grand opening of downtown Muskegon’s Pet Safe Bark Park! The “dog days” of summer will see our whiskered companions playing in the grass, enjoying the obstacle course, and making new friends in the neighborhood.
Grand Opening Highlights:
• Lindsay’s Mobile Dog Grooming Salon will be on site with information and swag
• Must Love Dogs Boutique
• Ebby’s Pet Bakery will have some give-aways
• Muskegon Kennel Club will be micro-chipping dogs for $15
• Wildflower Studios will be on hand providing mini photos sessions for you and your pup
• Cumberland Command K9 will be on hand with info about their training school
• The Coffee Factory will be offering hand-made lemonade with proceeds to benefit the park
• Dirty Dog Pet Wash and Supplies will be on hand with coupons, info and dog food samples
• Commemorative T-Shirts will be on sale to benefit the park
Park Quick Facts:
• Size approximately 0.7 acres
• Separate Large and Small Dog Areas
• Dog Agility Equipment
• Natural Grass Turf
• Doggie drinking fountains
• Agility tunnels
• Agility bars
• Picnic tables
• Dog grooming area
For more information, call (231) 724-3180.
Muskegon Heritage Museum Community Days: 67 Years Powering Muskegon Industry
May 12 @ 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
The Muskegon Heritage Museum is offering “Community Days” throughout the 2018 season with free admission sponsored by Consumers Energy Foundation! Saturday, May 12 the theme is “67 Years Powering Muskegon Industry,” featuring guests from the B.C. Cobb Plant and Consumers Energy. For more information, call (231) 722-1363.
SJO Supercross Event
May 12 @ 5:00 pm
Saturday, May 12 at 5:00pm, come to the Muskegon County Fairgrounds for motorcycle and quad racing at the SJO Supercross! Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for youth 11 and under. For more information, call (231) 924-5778.
Mother’s Day at Buzz’s Lakeside Inn
Sunday, May 13, bring the family to Buzz’s Lakeside Inn to celebrate Mother’s Day! They’re offering a special Mother’s Day menu with unlimited salad bar and a dessert buffet. Adults are $14.95 – $21.95. Kids 12 and under are $9.95. Enjoy all day drink specials, too! Call 231-893-8315 or e-mail email@example.com for reservations or more information.
Bella Maria’s Mother’s Day Brunch
May 13 @ 10:30 am – 2:00 pm
May 13 from 10:30am – 2:00pm, come to Bella Maria’s Event Center for a Mother’s Day Brunch! Reservations are recommended by calling 231-563-6914. Adults are $30.95 and kids under 12 are $10.95.
This wonderful day features:
• Mimosa and Champagne Bar (additional price)
• Prime Rib Beef Carving
• Pit Ham Carving
• Rack of Pork
• Smoked Salmon
• Lobster Cannelloni
• Blackened Catfish
• Hot Pastas
• Sausage, Bacon & Belgian Waffle Bar
• Stuffed Hash Browns
• Cajun Sausage with peppers & eggs
• Scrambled Eggs
• Biscuits & Gravy
• Salad bar with fresh fruit
• Artisan Breads
• Dessert Bar with Gluten Free selections
• Coffee Station
• Special Children’s Buffet
Mother’s Day Brunch at the Lake House Waterfront Grille
May 13 @ 10:30 am – 3:00 pm
Celebrate Mom this Mothers’ Day at the Lake House Waterfront Grille! Sunday, May 13th from 10:30am-3:00pm, enjoy a mouthwatering buffet featuring:
• Chef Carved Prime Rib, Maple/Bourbon Glazed Ham, their Famous Fried Lake Perch, and a Chilled Seafood Bar!
• Belgian Waffles with Assorted Syrups and Whipped Cream
• Build Your Own Parfait Bar
• Smoked Gouda and Cheddar Macaroni & Cheese
• Spinach and Artichoke Dip
• Fresh Fruit Salad with Citrus Dip
• Tuscan Chicken
• Garlic Sautéed French Beans
• Short Rib Eggs Benedict
• Bacon & Sausage
• Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
• Seasonal Soup
• Build Your Own Omelet Station
• Garden Salad Bar
• Freshly Baked Rolls
• Homemade Breakfast Breads
• A full bar will be available, complete with a Build Your Own Bloody Mary Bar (Beverages are not included in the price of the buffet).
Adults are $34.95 and kids ages 4-10 are $9.95. For reservations, please call (231) 722-4461 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mother’s Day Brunch at SE4SONS
May 13 @ 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
Treat Mom to something special this year! Chef Tim and his team have an over the top buffet planned so you can show Mom how much she means to you!
Seatings will be available at:
11:00am | 12:00pm | 1:00pm | 2:00pm
| Adults $30 | Kids (7-12) $15 | Kids (4-6) $7 | 3 & UNDER FREE |
Call 231-755-3737 for reservations soon!
Mother’s Day Brunch at the Holiday Inn & Conference Center
May 13 @ 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
Sunday, May 13 from 11:00am – 3:00pm, celebrate Mom with a delicious brunch buffet surrounded by family at the Holiday Inn & Conference Center in downtown Muskegon! Adults are $26.95 and children 5 – 12 are $9.95. For reservations, please call 231-720-7116.
*Price subject to 6% sales tax and 20% service charge*
Rootdown and Raise Your Spirits: Mother’s Day Event
May 13 @ 11:00 am
Sunday, May 13 at 11:00am, come to 18th Amendment Spirits Co. for “Rootdown and Raise Your Spirits: Love on Your Mother!” In honor of Mother’s Day, come and practice yoga, followed by delicious cocktails! Whether you’re a mother enjoying some well-deserved time for yourself or a son, daughter or husband looking for a way to spend time and treat a special mom in your life, they’ve got you covered.
Following a 50 minute yoga session at Rootdown Yoga right across the street, raise a glass to Mothers with hand crafted cocktails. $15 per person reserves your spot and includes a cocktail (“A Moment to Myself” — vodka, fresh mango juice, fresh strawberry juice and a dabble of sugar)!
Space is limited, so please pre-register! Please bring your own yoga mat, although there will be a few in case you forget. For more information, call (231) 375-5064.
Lakeshore Museum Center: Free Tours to Muskegon County Moms
May 13 @ 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
In honor of Mother’s Day, Muskegon County Moms will receive free access to the Lakeshore Museum Center’s historic sites, Sunday May 13 from 1:00pm – 4:00pm! Sites inlcude the Hackley and Hume Historic Site, Scolnik House of the Depression Era and the Fire Barn Museum. Mother’s will also receive a complementary gift. Tickets are free for Muskegon County moms. All others will pay the normal admission:
• Combo Ticket $12
• Adults $10
• Seniors $8
• Kids 2-12 -$5
No registration is required. Visitors are welcomed to walk-in during open hours. Tours leave the City Barn (carriage house) every 20 minutes and leave in groups of 10 or less. The last tour leaves at 4:00pm. For more information, call 231-722-7578.
Ray Kamalay’s Musical Adventure
May 14 @ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Monday, May 14 from 6:00pm – 7:30pm, join Hackley Public Library for an evening of musical diversity with talented guitarist, Ray Kamalay! Fascinated by old and ancient music, Ray has built a remarkably diverse and historic repertoire of music that is familiar, intriguing and fun for everyone. His beautiful voice and wry humor are matched by his fine mastery of the guitar, empowering him to play many different styles of music exquisitely.
Ray often tells the stories of the songs themselves, drawing the audience closer to his fine talent, and his love for music itself. He has collaborated with several notable artists, and has performed at some of the most prestigious venues, including Interlochen and the Edinburgh Festival. They are thrilled to have Ray perform, and they hope you can join them for this Americana musical adventure.
For more information, call (231) 722-8000 or visit the website below.