Fruitport Board of Education
April 25, 2018 5:30 p.m.
I. The Workshop of the Board of Education was called to order at 5:35 p.m. by Board President, Dave Hazekamp.
II. ROLL CALL: Present – Jill Brott (arrived at 5:37 pm), Elroy Buckner, Tim Burgess, Kris Cole, Susan Franklin, Dave Hazekamp, and Steve Kelly.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Item 18-051. MOTION by Franklin, SECOND by Kelly to approve the agenda with the addition of item #9 – Personnel Matter and #10 – Grant Opportunity.
MOTION CARRIED 6-0
IV.GENERAL BOARD BUSINESS
1. Approval of Regular Meeting Minutes.
Item 18-052. MOTION by Cole, SECOND by Buckner to approve the Regular Meeting Minutes of April 16, 2018.
MOTION CARRIED 6-0
Jill Brott entered the meeting.
2. The board members watched a TED talk by teacher, Sarah Park.
3. Data Review
• Curriculum Director, Allison Camp gave the Board a data update. She explained how she uses data to drive instruction. She spoke about academic data from Fruitport’s testing.
• Allison spoke about Behavior Systems (PBIS). The positive effects of PBIS are evident by the lower number of suspensions.
Mark Mesbergen joined the meeting at 6:30 pm. to share information he received at the MAISD Budget Hearing.
4. Bond Project Change Order Process
• President, Dave Hazekamp shared information about the bond project change order process.
5. Trip Request Policy
• Superintendent, Bob Szymoniak discussed changing policy regarding overnight and out-of-state field trips. Bob will amend policy 2340 regarding approval of out-of-district overnight field trips wherein three tiers of potential approval exist for consideration at a future board meeting.
6. Facilities/Enrollment Growth
• Bob spoke about moving around a couple of classes in Edgewood to accommodate enrollment and growth
7. Attendance Update
• Bob shared student attendance percentages per building within the district. He also shared employee attendance information and the process he takes to encourage better attendance.
• Bob shared an estimate from Baruzzini (pool specialist) to repair the pool.
9. Personnel Matter
• Bob shared information on a personnel matter.
10. Grant Opportunity
• Bob spoke to the Board about a grant he has applied for. This would provide a Community Resource Coordinator at Fruitport Community Schools.
V. REMARKS FROM THE PUBLIC
Item 18-053. MOTION by Buckner, SECOND by Brott to adjourn.
MOTION CARRIED 7-0
The meeting adjourned at 8:20 p.m.
Steve Kelly, Board Secretary